Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Qualifications for a great Mission Home!






There are weeks that it seems like all I do is cook. You can only imagine. This past week I have fed 5 hungry Elders who live across the street, 23 hungry Elders for Concilios on Monday and Tuesday, Elders who have received cookies/brownies during interviews with President, Elders who've received cookies with 10 baptisms, Elders who just do not have food/money and are starving. What is a Mission President's wife to do when she has been blessed with a kitchen like this one. Literally, this home is perfect for this job. I hope to duplicate some of these niceties in my kitchen in California.... I know it was my choice to open up my kitchen....not every MP & wife have this luxury. So I count my blessings. Especially since I try and utilize my hired help to clean up after I make the mess. Do you suppose Bob will be willing to clean up after me when I return home? Actually, after another 9 months of cookie baking....I am not sure I am going to want to see another cookie for a long while....

The picture of Elder Sherman kneeling in my kitchen surrounded by peach cobbler and a chicken casserole was taken on Sunday evening. We love our office elders and they work so very hard behind the scenes to take care of President and I. Elder Sherman serves as our financial secretary and was eternally grateful for the smells that were coming from the kitchen......Also, Elder Grecco celebrated his birthday with us Tuesday morning at the Concilio...A typical breakfast includes 6dz eggs, 50 sausage, +75 silverdollar pancakes.... I've got a great routine and can produce this breakfast in 90 minutes, rain or shine. The hardest part is we start feeding at 8am and by 8:30 we are supposed to be sitting in our seats ready to begin the concilio and I have the first presentation. Often in the middle of the scrambled eggs, pancake-flipping, I find myself in the pantry saying a little prayer that all my words will come out okay in Spanish and that I can share the message of my heart with these special missionaries. We are so blessed to be able to serve with some of the Best missionaries in the World....We love them all.

6 comments:

brenna said...

That's a lot of food! Good thing you are so fast at it; it would take me forever to make all of those things!

Chris Grover said...

now i want to come to Mexico, just to enjoy your cooking. my mouth is watering! you have always been an incredible cook, becky! what a blessing you are to those missionaries, in sooo many ways!

Allan and Diane said...

becky, your post sooooooo confirms the Lord's hand in mission assignments. You being the MASTER chef of Mexico (and maybe the world) needed the proper facilities to create your wonder, and you have that kind of set up. (By the way, my mouth is still hanging open from looking in your pantry.) I knew you would be this EXACT and SPECIAL kind of mission mom and how you are blessing and uplifting and inspiring your missionaries (and your Pres.!) You are truly a wonder!

Cox Family said...

You are such a great Mission Presidents wife.. I have to share a story with you that Sister Wendy Nelson Shared with us at time out for Women. Her and her husband went to A mission presidents home in Africa where the Mission presidents wife had prepared a beautiful dinner for them. It was but about 30 minutes later that a man walked in very casual and the mission presidents wife yelled right away " its a robbery". To make a long story short sister Nelson decribed the horribl;e incidednt how they held pres. Nelson at gun point and were going to take sister Nelson for randsom. But though that all they Took the mission presidents wife threw her on the ground and broke her arm and she then escaped and ran to the front yard and yelled in portuguese "Help" help soon came. But the point to sister Nelsons story was that this mission presidents wife "Identified the problem imediatly". That in this situation the mission presidents wife had the courage and knowledge thanks to the help from our heavenly father to help this situation. It reminded me of you and all that you do for the missionary's in Leon. I just would like to tell you that you do a great think for those young men and for bob. We love you. Keep up the good work

Mama-san said...

Hi. This is Elder Sherman's mom. How grateful I am for you and the love you show my son. It comforts me to know he is in such good hands with his "Mission Mom". I receive many emails describing how thankful he is for your delicious cooking; and as you probably know, food is one of his great loves!

brenna said...

Matt wants to know what you're doing in the birthday picture.